Monday, March 12, 2012

See you next year!

I figured I had better wind up Frugal February before it becomes the end of March! Did we make it? Pretty much. I think we went over by about $5 on the last day, but we were good and sick of Fru Feb by then and wanted to be sure we started March with a nice meal, not with the slim Frugal February pickins' left in the pantry.

It was a wonderful month as always. We carry fond memories of the food our friends shared with us and that we shared back - home made hummus, banana bread, lemon cookies, bagels, lots and lots of lemons. We spent lots of time together as a family and felt the full measure of gratitude for little things, like the friend who invites your kid to a movie, or to the bounce house. 

Best discovery of the month: Home made peanut butter. I gave it short shrift the day I blogged about it. Forgive me, peanut butter, you get better and better after you sit a little while and now we are not going back to store-bought, ever. We're on our third 1-pound batch. Am I the only person who can't talk about eating peanut butter without saying "Aawwron Buwwrr!" ? OK. Just checking.

Culinary triumph of the month: I cut up a whole chicken. Might not seem like such a big thing I know, but if you know me, you know this is A BIG THING. I might be the only person you know who ordinarily cooks an entire chicken dinner without ever touching the chicken with bare hands. Now I have whacked, cracked and chopped an entire raw chicken all to heck.

See?
I won't be doing it again any time soon.

Frugal fail: Home made shampoo. Not such a good idea. I am awfully glad to get back to my Bumble & Bumble.

Lots of lessons learned, many good memories, and the glee of a nearly-blank credit card bill ... see you next year!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wrap up. I enjoyed hearing about your journey and struggles. Good idea to do as a family :)

    ReplyDelete